With the increase of potential threats and violence, organizations and companies like tacticalalert.com have recognized the need to arm citizens with necessary information and tools to stay safe and secure. Though threats can pose themselves in a number of ways, the active shooter situation is one that is gaining attention
An active shooter can happen anytime, anywhere. That’s why it’s important to practice situational awareness. Being aware of your surroundings and identifying potential threats and dangerous situations could save your life.
When an active shooter is in your vicinity, you need to quickly determine the most reasonable way to protect your life. If you stay calm and act with a level head, others in the area are likely to follow your lead during an active shooter situation. Most experts agree that you should follow the flee, hide, fight scenario when encountering an active shooter.
- Have an escape route and plan in mind.
- Help others to escape if possible.
- Leave your belongings behind.
- Warn others and keep them away from the threat area.
- Keep your hands visible and keep moving.
- Hide in an area out of the active shooter’s view.
- Stay quiet and silence all electronic devices.
- Block entry to your hiding place, lock doors and turn out lights.
- Fight as a last resort and only when your life is in imminent danger.
- Attempt to incapacitate the active shooter.
- Act with physical aggression and throw items at the active shooter.
- Use makeshift weapons, anything from books to chairs can be a potential weapon.
Finally, call 911 when it’s safe to do so. When law enforcement officials arrive on the scene, keep your hands visible and empty with fingers spread. Remain calm and follow officers’ instructions. Don’t point, scream, yell, or make quick movements toward officers.
You may never find yourself in an active shooter situation. But if you do, learning and following these steps can help save your life and the lives of others.